Articles > What is a Chartered Surveyor

Injury Lawyers Direct

Had an accident? At work , on the road, on holiday?
 Been the victim of Professional or Clinical negligence?
Then contact Injury Lawyers Direct for a
"No Win No Fee, 100% damages to you" claim.

I was recently asked to define the phrase Chartered Surveyor.  The text book answer is that a Chartered Surveyor is the description of Professional Members and Fellows of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Only qualified members of the RICS are entitled to use the designation. But, of course, that is not the whole answer because the term Chartered Surveyor now covers a very wide base. I have listed below some of the areas of expertise that the word Chartered Surveyor covers:-

Property Professional Groups

Land Professional Groups

Built Environment Professional Groups

Obviously, no one surveyor could be an expert in all of the above and all surveyors specialise. The general public generally use the services of their local chartered surveyor for home and business dealings.

I am now going to declare my interest and try to explain some of my specialisations in order to indicate the sort of services that a typical Chartered Surveyor can offer:-

Quantity Surveying

How often do you hear the cry, “I think I’m being overcharged by my Builder.” Very often, we can help to resolve disputes of this nature.

Planning Applications

Most home owners and small businesses from time to time need to to have plans prepared and submitted to local authorities. Being well versed in Planning and Building Control procedures, we can help our clients through the local authority mine fields. We can also prepare plans for Land Registry submissions.

Photographic Condition Surveys

One of the dangers of leasing commercial premises on a self repairing lease is that at the end of the term, the landlord can present the tennant with a Schedule of Delapidations worth thousands of pounds. The way to avoid being overcharged is to have a Photographic Condition Survey carried out so that the true condition of the buiding can be recorded prior to the lease agreement being signed.

Energy Reports

When properties are sold, leased or rented, there is now a requirement that an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is supplied. This requirement covers both domestic and commercial properties. Not issuing an EPC can result in heavy fines being levied.

Andrew Williams FRICS FCIOB Dip HI / NDEA
Andrew R Williams & Associates Ltd
0151 426 9660


Admin  | Privacy Statement | Terms Of Use
© 2018 Property Lawyers Direct
Property Lawyers Direct is a domain name of St Helens Law Limited. St Helens Law Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. SRA No:439956. A list of the Directors of St Helens Law is available upon request. The registered office of St Helens Law Limited is: 19-27 Shaw Street, St Helens, WA10 1DF. Company number: 5629783. Registered in England and Wales.